Monster Mania Artist Commentary - Monster Plant

This drawing is inspired by carnivorous plants like the Piranha Plant from Super Mario Bros and Audrey II from Little Shop Of Horrors. 

The corkscrew pattern of the roots was inspired by Todd McFarlane's "spaghetti webbing" from his Spider-Man comics. My illustration style is an odd mix of cartoonish and realistic elements. In this case, I thought a more stylized depiction of the roots would be more interesting. I wanted the roots to look aggressive and dangerous. I wanted them to have more weight. I wanted them to feel more like doctor octopus' tentacles. I think the more cartoonish approach helps tell a story. Real plant roots just look like dirty pubes. I made the vines and the lips of the monster super veiny to mirror the corkscrew pattern in roots. 

When I'm drawing something like a potted plant, I have to find ways to make the drawing more dynamic. I like to add stray drool and debris around my monsters to create more movement and energy. The drawing is less static when you have chunks of dirt flying around. 






Popular posts from this blog

Monster Mania Artist Commentary - Zombie Pizza

Monster Mania Artist Commentary - My Tumor Face